July 17, 2012

A Summer Wreath

In case you are like me and not getting to go to the beach this
summer, here's how to make a summer wreath that will bring
the beach to you.  I used some ideas that I saw on Kim's
blog Sand and Sisal to make this wreath for my mom's house.
DIY summer wreath

For the base of the wreath I used a foam pool noodle curved
into a circle and secured with packing tape to hold the shape.
The  front side of the noodle wreath was painted a combination
 of browns and yellows to cover up the green color that  would
have showed between the rope wrapping.
You could use another type of wreath like straw and not
have to paint the form.

A length of 1/4" sisal rope was glued onto the back of the
foam wreath with foam glue to securely attach a loop for
hanging.  A combination of 1/4" sisal rope and 3/8" sisal
rope was used to wrap the wreath and cover the foam.
pool noodle wreath

The larger rope was used in sections on the top, sides and bottom
but you could just use one size of rope if you wanted to.
This took a lot more rope than I thought it would.  I think
with the two types of rope, it took about 100 feet all together.
rope wreath

    To cover the form near the hanging loop, I used a smaller twine.
summer wreath

You could use a variety of beach related items on the rope
wreath, but I just loved the faux fishing floats that Kim used
on her wreath and used her tutorial to make some. 
 I did alter her tutorial a little and used some twine, simple knots
 and hot glue to fashion fake "netting" around the "floats".
how to make fake fishing floats

If I was making another wreath like this one for myself
(which I just might do), I would make the fishing floats
smaller... they were a little too big for the size of
the wreath.  I didn't think about that when I was buying
the supplies to make the floats.

     Along with the floats, I added sea shells from the Dollar Tree
 star fish wreath

                 Hot glue was used to attach the shells...
shell wreath

... wire to attach the star fish and floats.
summer wreath

sea shell wreath

coastal wreath

how to make a summer wreath

how to make a door wreath

Even though the star fish aren't real and the floats are
a little too big, the wreath looks beach-y and fun
from the street on my mom's front door.
how to make summer wreath

beach wreath


20 comments

  1. That wreath is just too cute. And you used another pool noodle. Now, I just need a beach house to put all this cool stuff in that you've taught me to make. "Oh, Mr. Bird Nest....."

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely coastal wreath! And I just love the pop of aqua on the glass fishing bulbs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, perfectly lovely! Clever hanging idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the prettiest beachy wreath I've seen! I would love for you to link it up at Gettin' Krafty With It this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I so agree, one of the pretties beach wreaths I've seen. Love it. Great tutorial too. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a really, really cute wreath! I love it and it is very beachy- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the floats on the beach wreath. Don't think I've ever seen them on one before. I really would like to make myself some, but knowing me I'll probably never get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a stunning, beachy summer wreath. I think I like the oversized floated the best! Very creative and clever.
    Your project would be perfect to share at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS, my new weekly linky party going on now! Come on over and join in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this wreath! I've been bringing the beach to my (inland) home this summer since we aren't going to the beach again for a while. I've done several really cute things and am enjoying them so much, but I had not found everything I needed to make just the right wreath. I had not seen on made with rope - awesome idea! Guess I can get started on mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ADORABLE! I love your summer wreath and your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!! Very beachy!! You and pool noodles have this thing going on! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the beach look! Great job!

    I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too cute!! Love it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    I featured you on my blog today, feel free to come check it out: http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/07/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I featured this beautiful wreath tonight! Come by & grab a button and link up something else special this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just saw this wreath today. So pretty and yes very beachy. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant idea to use a pool noodle as the wreath base! Love the way your wreath turned out!

    I just discovered your blog today and absolutely love it! Thanks for sharing so many wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. about how much sisal rope did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I live in Florida and had a gorgeous wine cork wreath on my west facing door. I came home one day to find the corks all over the place (this was a wreath that we had made many years before and had in our kitchen with no problem). It turns out hot glued corks would not hold in the extreme FL heat and the glue melted and let all the corks loose!! So, no glue gun projects for outside here!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to comment on my blog!

© Miss Kopy Kat. Design by FCD.