March 25, 2012

Grass Wreath


Over on Pinterest, I saw a fun wreath made
primarily of a foam wreath form and fur yarn.
When I first published this post, I credited the incorrect
originator of this idea. Was the post that I saw on
Pinterest trying to steal someone else's work and idea?

Anyway, this seems to be the original blog post:

You need a green foam wreath form...

...and lime green fun fur (or eyelash)  yarn.
My wreath form is 16" across. It took one 55 yard skein 
of the eyelash yarn to cover it. 

             At first I could not find this color and tried to dye some white and other colors fun fur/eyelash yarn. Do not attempt.  The yarn is polyester and did not take up any dye.
I finally did find some locally but if you can't, you might need to order online.
Get the larger skein (55 yards I think).  It will be about $7 - $10. 

                  I lost the photos that I took of the construction process
          Did I accidentally copy them to an obscure file?
       Did I forget to have to memory card in the camera?

Anchor the end of the yarn and start wraping and
wraping and wraping the yard around the form
keeping the strands of yarn close together.
This is a re-creation of how to wrap the wreath with some of the non-dyeable fun fur yarn.
All the lime green yarn got used on the original wreath.

 When you get to the end of the yarn, secure it by tying off to an already wrapped piece of yarn.  This is what you end up with:






It is so darn cute and fluffy...you just want to "pet" it. 

I added the foam eggs on wires by sticking them into the foam
to make it Easter-y.  The wreath could be use for different
occasions just by changing out the decorations.








Since all these materials are weather-resistant, this wreath
can be used outside.  If it gets wet, you may need to "fluff"
the fur yarn with your fingers to perk it up.
The wreath form was $8, the yarn was $7, and the eggs were $7 if all are regular price.
If you look for sales or use coupons at the craft stores, it would be less.

Update:
I was underwhelmed by my cute, fuzzy wreath every time I pulled
   in my driveway. It just looked kind of "meh" from the street.

So I added a bow and clustered the eggs near the bow
instead of having them march "single file" around the wreath.

I wasn't happy with any single ribbon that I found.
The blue was not interesting enough and the pattern ribbon
was not wide enough so I combined the two ribbon in the bow.

I got a few more pre-made sparkle-y eggs while
I was shopping for the ribbon.

Ooops!The bow's tails are different lengths...
should I even them up?

The cute, fuzzy yarn wreath now looks better up
close AND at a distance. 
This is my 100th blog post.  It seems like everything that could go wrong,
 has gone wrong with it (including posting the above photo that is crooked).
I'm glad all blog posts are not this difficult or I would have given up already.

Thanks for coming by to see this fuzzy-wuzzy wreath...
I hope you will make one too! 

43 comments

  1. I love it! What a fabulous idea, I can see it as a Christmas wreath, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pinned this same wreath earlier! The actual source is: http://pattyschaffer.typepad.com/capture_the_details/2010/03/monday-make-it-spring-baby-grass-wreath.html

    so terrible that people are stealing via pinterest like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out really cute. What a clever idea. I LOVE stealing ideas that someone else has already figured out! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the whole point of Pinterest? I think of it more like sharing ideas rather than stealing something. This is too funny-everyone knows if you pin or post about something, if it's on Pinterest, it's fair game for everyone to enjoy and share!

      Delete
  4. I can see that cute wreath going right into summer! Maybe bees or butterflies on the grass. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute, stopping by from centsational girl's link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously thought that you somehow did that with real grass until I scrolled down and saw that it was yarn! The texture and color matches the real grass that I planted perfectly! Wouldn't those things be cute paired together? Nice job, it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so fun. It looks like real grass. You find the best ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love a good copy cat!

    Laura
    cookiecrumbsandsawdust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute and spring-y! Enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That wreath is so cute! It looks like a fuzzy chick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, at first I didn't understand the green fur, but now I do. How adorable that it looks like Easter basket grass. That is darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a brilliant idea for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is fuzzy wuzzy and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your wreath. Such a clever idea to use that type of yarn. Perfect. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so cute! I love what you did with the "fur"!

    You are very good to go out and find the correct link to the original post. Lots of people don't do that! You are a very sweet blogger!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Miss Kitty!

    I saw something very similar to this and was also planning on copying it. I wonder if I could substitute something else for the yarn.... Yours turned out really cute :)

    Thanks for sharing this at my party this week!

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. You can find the badge, and more details, by visiting my blog. Have a great day! patsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your 100th blog post! Lovely entryway -- the wreath is adorable.

    Visiting from the Bunny Hop, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your wreath turned out really pretty! Congrats on the 100th post! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great wreath! Love the colors...so bright and festive, just in time for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so lovely. I would love for you to drop by My Dream Canvas as well :-) I’m visiting from Wow Us Wednesdays. Really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cute idea, and looks a bit like moss. This would be so cute in other colors for different holidays. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this look...reminds me of the grinch. I'm glad I found your blog at The Shady Porch party. I'm a new follower too, so I can keep in touch. I would love if you stopped by and followed back on LF and GFC. Nice to meet you, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute idea! I love your final product. The changes you made are perfect. And I like the ribbon tails different lengths!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the cutest wreath! I love the look of the yarn and the Easter eggs...so adorable. Thanks for linking to the Open House party.
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  26. Turned out beautiful and I like your urns as well. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is so darn cute....I can hardly stand it. I know everyone that passes by your home just ooohs and aaaahs over it. Happy Easter and Bunny Hop

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a cute wreath! Thanks so much for sharing it with us this week! We featured it today!

    Take care,

    Trish

    http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2012/04/welcoming-spring-wreaths.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is just the cutest Easter wreath ever! You did an amazing job!
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  30. A beautiful wreath. I love the ribbons you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  31. what a great wreath for easter & spring. love it. hopped over thanks to the "bunny blog hop" ... luv your blog. so nice to meet ya. take care. (:

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this idea! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your wreath! So pretty with all the easter eggs and the ribbon is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I never thought a glass wreath could look so good.

    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this, just have to get the supplies! I'm sure I can make this in time for Eadter! Thanks so much for posting this darling idea!!!
    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cute! What size foam wreath was used? I wouldn't want to run out of yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is adorable! I totally want one now!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello, I work for Country Living magazine and we would love to feature this craft on our website! Please let us know if we may use one photo in our gallery, with a link back to your tutorial.
    You can email me at CLIdeas@hearst.com.
    We are excited to show support for your work! Thanks so much,
    Jenae

    ReplyDelete
  39. I made two. Won't let me post pics. :(

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the wreath! Where did you get the eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  41. What size is this wreath form please? I am trying to make sure I don't run out of yarn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to comment on my blog!

© Miss Kopy Kat. Design by FCD.