Saturday, February 18, 2012

Make a "Painting" From a Print

Want a change of scenery over your mantle
or other area of your home
but don't have the budget to invest in a
new painting?  Here's how you can make a 
faux painting by using an art poster/print.

Select a print that  fits your size requirements.
This poster/print came from Hobby Lobby.  It is about the size I needed to go in an existing
frame that I had.  I had to cut it down some to fit in the frame. Any text will also need to be cut
off to make it look like a painting so keep that in mind when selecting a size of print.

It also helps to "fool the eye" if the print has
a painterly look to it with visible brush strokes.

Cut a piece of foam core board to fit snugly inside the frame.
Cut the print to be the same size as the foam core.
Attach the print to the foam core with spray adhesive.
When that is dry, spray the print with a clear acrylic sealer.
Using spray adhesive keeps the print from getting wrinkles and bumps that regular glue would produce.
Spray adhesive can be a mess...I always do it outside. Wait for a low humidity day to do this step.
The sealer also helps to keep the print from wrinkling when the gel medium  is applied.

When the sealer is dry, apply the gel matt medium
(found in the artist section of craft stores or in art stores).
Put the medium on in the same direction that the
brush strokes on your print are going.  If your print does not
have a brush-stroke look, apply the medium as if you
were painting the objects on the print, following the
shape of the object with the brush to create stroke looks.
Be sure the matt medium that you buy is transparent.  It looks white when you put it on but dries clear.
Artists use the medium to add body and texture to their paints.  This is acrylic medium.  It dries quickly.

You can apply the matt medium with a brush or a pallette knife.
A pallette knife is also in the artist section of craft stores.  This one is just plastic.  It came in
a pack of about 4 different sizes for $3.  I felt very "artsy" using it.  It gives a different look than
brush strokes. I think the artist of the print used a pallette knife to paint some portions of the original.

You can build up layers of the medium,
letting it dry between coats.


It's a personal preference how much/how thick you want the medium to be.  Even though I was using
the heavy gel medium, it took several coats to get as much dimension as I wanted on the print.
I have seen some prints in stores with the medium applied too thick (for my taste) and in a haphazard
 brush stroke manner that did not look real at all.




You could apply the medium heavier than this if you like.  The piece does not scream "look at
my brush strokes!" when you come in the room but up close it does look and even feel like
a real painting. 

The "painting's" birch trunks go with the Winter White Decorating look that I have in my living room now. The green
of the background goes well with my wall color.

The birch trees in my area are mostly "River Birch" and
not as large as the ones in the "painting" but I
gathered some fallen branches and bark from our nearby
birches to add to the white urns on the mantle.



After the visual overload of Christmas,
I like to see the spare-ness of branches during
the rest of Winter.  Here are a few photos I have
taken recently of the beauty of branches.

Sunsets...

...and moonrise.

The frame that they birches are in was once
brown and smaller in width.
It was on a (real) painting but it looked drab. 
To brighten and widen it, I painted it a couple of
shades of white and added some moulding to it.
The brown portion is the original frame.  I cut the white moulding with a hand saw and
used construction glue to join the miter cuts together to make a larger frame.
Then the larger frame was glued onto the back of the brown frame.

The arrows point to the joint between
the old and new parts of the frame.

Wood putty and paint can cover
a multitude of sins.

 

34 comments:

mississippi artist said...

Good job, I like the print you chose. I agree after Christmas I almost want a bare look too.

Debbiedoo's said...

That is beautiful! I love the colors and the texture.

NanaDiana said...

That looks really great! Thanks for sharing the how-to~ xo Diana

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Absolutely beautiful!! LOVE the look you created on your mantel!

Cindy said...

Very cool idea~ I love it! Have a great weekend.
XO Cindy

Geneva said...

This was so interesting ... I've transferred prints on to canvas before, but this seems so much easier. Great job, and great tutorial!

Honey at 2805 said...

You chose a wonderful print for this project! It is very "painterly" indeed! Thanks you for sharing your project and your beautiful photography at Potpourri Friday!

Terry said...

I was skeptical at first until I read your whole post. Now I think this is fantastic and it looks great! Thanks for sharing.

kelly said...

Very clever,

It looks really good.

I will have to look at some more of your creations.

Kelly

Betsy said...

Your "painting" looks so real. I love this idea!

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

It turned out BEAUTIFUL!!! XO, Aimee

Megan said...

wow! love it!

thanks for linking up to Make it monday! Just shared it on the Brassy Apple FB page!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love this idea and certainly going to use it. The birch tree painting/print came out gorgeous.

Emily @ 52 Mantels said...

What an incredibly unique idea!! I have never seen that done. I love the results. The birch trees are beautiful!!

domestiCate said...

Such a smart idea! I can't wait to give this a try. What an inexpensive way to create art.

Leslie's Garden said...

Wow! That was fantastic! What a nifty idea, I'm so glad I dropped by! I also share your love of bare winter branches against the sky - lovely!

Rachael said...

You are a genius! I am so doing this, I loved the idea for making the frame nicer too.

Britt said...

I love the way you "fixed" this print. It looks gorgeous above your fireplace. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. Following you back!

Audrey said...

hi Miss Kitty ... love this picture. Thanks for the tutorial, I would love to try that.
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment.
Blessings.
Audrey z. Timeless Treasures
audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com

Ellie said...

That is the coolest thing ever! I love how it turned out. I've always wanted to try this, either from a picture or a print. Thanks for sharing!

Cristina @ RemodelandolaCasa.com said...

It looks great! Nice tutorial, Thanks!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Wonderful idea! I just pinned this. Thanks for the inspiration.

blessings,
karianne

frugal-interior-design said...

Cool project and informative post!

Sheer Serendipity said...

What a wonderful idea! The print you chose goes so nicely in your space.

Kathy said...

What a wonderful idea!! This is one project I'm definitely going to try! I'm thrilled to have found your blog & just became your newest follower!

Barbara said...

Genius!! Fab idea. Thanks for sharing.

Rhissanna said...

This is brilliant and exactly what I needed. I'm hoping to put up some faux Victorian oil paintings in Hubby's Steampunk Study and this may be a way of making them look less 'faux'. Thank you, thank you! (The idea for enlarging the picture frame is pretty amazing, too.)

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

OMG ... Brilliant. an oil painting for less!

Candy said...

I just saw a pic of yours on Facebook, so had to come over and take a look at your blog. Im enjoying it so that I've just become a follower. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot and maybe you'll follow back. THANKS.

Wellington Taylor said...

I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information Read More

George Talpo said...

How have you dealt with any potential bubbling or peeling? I usually just get the picture printed straight to the foam core. There are a lot of service, I use this one. Basically, rather than having to mount it yourself you can just get the print directly and not have to worry about peeling or anything!

Better Complexions said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I Disagree With said...

I know I'm late to this party ... but what a genius idea! I was admiring your painting in another post and noticed the sidebar link. Love it!

:) Linda

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Well, now I feel dumb. I asked in an earlier comment today if you had painted the painting above your mantle. Now I've gone through some of your blog today off and on, and just seen this post. Now I have my answer. Very neat trick that you did painting on the poster to make it all "your own". I never would have thought of that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...