Monday, February 13, 2012

How to Make Deco Mesh Wreaths

Deco Mesh is a common name for poly sinamay mesh
which is a product used extensively by
floral designers and party planners for years.

In the past, I could only purchase it from a florist
but lately it has been appearing in regular craft stores
like Hobby Lobby so that even us commoners
can obtain it for use for decorations.

It ususally comes in 21" and 5 1/2" widths
and is very reasonably priced.

There are lots of solid colors and patterns available
on the internet.  In my area, I only have a limited
color selection and spotty availability to buy locally.

I did a blog post a couple of months ago about how
to use the mesh to make a garland after I found
some of the Deco Mesh in Christmas colors.

I wanted to try to use it to make wreaths also
when the need arose for a Valentine wreath
and a baby shower wreath. 
Wreath forms are available in the floral
sections of most craft stores.
The day I needed to buy these, only the smaller sizes were available.
They are reasonbly priced also...these were only about $2.50 each.
I could only find the smaller size mesh too so I guess it worked out.

Deco Mesh is a fun, showy product but
it is also see-through.  You need your wreath
form to be a similar color to the mesh or
it just doesn't look as nice.
I painted my forms pink since that was the main color of mesh I was going to be using.

Here are the supplies I used for the baby wreath.
A circle wreath form
Pink chenille pipe cleaners
Decorative regular wired ribbon
Decorative paper baby outfits

Start by gathering the short end of the mesh in
an accordian fashion and keep it pinched together.
Attach it to the wreath form with a pipe cleaner.
The pipe cleaners (I think they call them "chenille stems" now a days) can be cut in half for
this project.  Bend the pipe cleaner into a "U" or "V" shape,  
bring the ends from the back side of the wreath,
twist it on top of the form, place the pinched mesh into the "arms" of the pipe cleaner and then
twist the ends of the pipe cleaner tightly around the mesh to hold it in place on the wreath.
If you are going to add more mesh on top of your first piece, you can leave the "arms" open.
If not, you can go on and twist the ends along the wire of the form to stabilize it.

After your first point of attachment, gather another section
of mesh a little further along the length to pinch and
attach to the form.  If you want to have a "puff",
attach the gathered point close enough to your
last attachment point to have some height to it.
After you get a good idea of how close together you want your attachment points to be,
you can pre-attach some pipe cleaners to the wreath form...it is a lot easier that way.

This is the wreath from behind with one
row of the mesh applied.
Yikes! I meant to leave a "tail" to hang down at the beginning
of the attachment process but forgot so this ended
up with just one mesh tail.  You could add tails separately
but if you leave extra length of the mesh at the beginning and the end,
it just one less step to do.

This is the wreath with with a second
row of mesh attached.
You could leave the wreath like this.  I like to add more "goodies" to
the wreaths and make them a  little more substantial looking.

I added a wire-edged ribbon also
on the wreath.  It can be attached the same
way that the mesh was attached with the
pipe cleaners.
The wire wreath form had three rows of wire.  I put mesh on the inside and
outside row and the harlequin ribbon to the middle row.

I just used iron on letters to spell out the
baby's name on one of the harlequin ribbon tails.
After this step, I added some paper baby onsies (actually they were cupcake toppers
with the toothpick pulled out and hot glued on.  Note to self: do NOT hot glue
an item on mesh and then push against it from the mesh side with your finger...
it's MESH, not solid...major owww-ey and blister).

                            Completed wreath for Kaitlyn:
The mom will put this wreath on her hospital room door when Kaitlyn is born.
The Center for Missing Children advises not to put birth announcement-type
items on the outside of your home advertising that a new baby is inside.

The Valentine Deco Mesh wreath was
constructed pretty much the same way
with a few adjustments for the heart shape.
In order to keep the heart shape visible, the mesh was wired closer to the
actual shape of the wire form and did not have as much "puff".

I had some left-over 21" inch red mesh from
Christmas projects that I put on the outside
layer of the wreath form.
The cut ends of the mesh tend to look messy.
 
To hide the ends of the mesh, pull them
to the back of the wreath and secure
them with another pipe cleaner.


Two rows of the 5 1/2" mesh were added.
This photo is after the first row was added.  Instead of puffing the mesh much, I twisted the mesh
between attachment points to add some dimension but stay close to the wreath's shape.

Even after three rounds of mesh, the wreath
seemed like it still needed "something".
I added a couple of rows of polka dot
wired-edge ribbon using the same technique
with the pipe cleaners.
I like to use wire-edged ribbon 'cause it can be "fluffed up"
if needed.
(I am linking this post to "Terrific Under Ten Tuesday" blog party
This heart wreath would cost about $10 make: $2.50 for wreath form,
$1 for pipe cleaners, $2.50 for half a roll of pink mesh ribbon, $3 for dot ribbon.)

The way that most folks have seen Deco Mesh used
in the past is for enhancing Christmas trees.
This next wreath is similar to that because the wreath
is made of the same stuff artificial trees are made of.
This is an old wreath that I have used at the hospital nursery where I work
as part of Christmas decorations.  To tie it in visually with the new Deco Mesh garlands
I made this past Christmas, I added two colors of mesh to it.

The mesh was added to the wreath with pipe cleaners
in the same way the ones above were made.
You certainly can use the actual limbs on a wreath like this to add the mesh.
This wreath was skimpy already so I didn't want to use the limbs to
attach the mesh and make it even skimpier looking.

I used the wider mesh for the first layer and left the "arms"
of the pipe cleaners open to attach the next layer.

Then the green 5 1/2" mesh was placed on top of the red.
When you are through adding elements, just pull the ends
of the pipe cleaners to the back of the wreath.

                   Pull the cut ends of the mesh to the back of 
the wreath to hide them and secure.

A freshening up for an old wreath:

If you get an actual wreath form or work garland made for
Deco Mesh, it comes with these color co-ordinated
 Christmas tree-type limbs to use to attach the mesh.
This photo was taken at a florist shop.

I actually like the look of the pipe cleaners better.
They are easier to hide.

Deco Mesh can be used for lots of different holidays and events.

If, like me, you can't find much mesh locally, a seemingly 
good internet source for Deco Mesh is Mardi Gras Outlet. 
They have lots of colors and patterns available
at reasonable prices.

Update:
Another way to make a wreath with the deco mesh is shown
in a later blog post I did called


To make a larger circular wreath than the original baby 
girl wreath at the beginning of this blog post, click this link:




22 comments:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Great wreaths! I love to work with the deco mesh!!

mississippi artist said...

This stuff is the best thing since sliced bread. Anyone can make a great looking wreath with deco mesh. I love your baby wreath- a great gift idea!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

What a fabulous tutorial. I havn't worked with the mesh, but this definitely gives me some ideas. Thanks for the how to and thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

PS I am going to email you my address, I would love the corks.

Judy said...

What a great tutorial. I have never even heard of this mesh...but I am going to find me some...awesome projects. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Miss Kitty!

What a GREAT tutorial and just in time... for EASTER! I am in the beginning process of making an Easter wreath and this is something I think I will try.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial at my Bunny Hop Party!

Happy Valentine's Day!

xoxo Bunny Jean

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

Your wreaths are beautiful.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Dee

Kelly Griglione said...

Wow, I haven't used this before - love how much volume it gives a project! Good ideas! I laughed when I read your profile about having a blog to motivate you to finish projects. That is a little too familiar to me!!! And thanks for your comment on my blog : )

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Great wreath tutorial! Love the new baby one!

JAMI from IMAGINE DESIGN BLOG said...

GREAT blog! Found you on the hop! Following you now.

XO - Jami
Imagine Design Blog
LIKE Imagine on Facebook!
FOLLOW me on Pinterest
FOLLOW me on Twitter

Creations By Cindy said...

Thank you for sharing this. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Really great tutorial on how to make these. Yours are all beautiful!
www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Terry said...

I have never heard of this mesh. Your wreaths all turned out so pretty and great tutorials - very clear. Thanks for sharing at our Link It Up Thursday party.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

All of the wreaths are adorable! I also love the pretty statue the heart is hanging on. I haven't worked with this mesh yet but now I want too. Thanks for joining my party this week. xo, Sherry

Katie Goldsworthy said...

Very cute little wreaths! So festive!

Thanks for linking them up @ Creatively Living!

--Katie

Amanda Dale said...

Love that you spray painted the wreath first! Thanks for linking up at Cowgirl Up! Hope to see you again next week!
Thanks,
Amanda @ The Ivy Cottage Blog
www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com

Frazzled Mom of Five said...

Very nice- these are always super expensive at the local craft sales, thank you for sharing a way to do this myself! I adore the ribbon choice for the baby girl wreath- too cute!
~Jen @ hutchinsonherd.blogspot.com

Pamela said...

These are great! Thanx for sharing the how to and coming to party at my place!

Lisa said...

I love your baby shower wreath. I found some useful information here: http://www.partytimebr.net

Corrie said...

Thank you for linking to MardiGrasOutlet.com for purchasing deco mesh supplies. We love your tutorials. Looking forward to following your blog!

city said...

nice opinion. thanks for posting.

sleepymom33 said...

Love your detailed photos/directions on your tutorial. How do you estimate how many yards of mesh you need for that sized wreath? I just need an idea of how many yds. per wreath, so I can fit it into a church budget. Thanks!

Amber said...

I know this is an old post, but I'm having a problem! My deco mesh wreath from last Christmas is smashed! Any ideas how to fluff it back up again?